[FR] Support for line styling

I am in complete agreement with your FR. This is very well presented and graphically articulated.
The addition of this feature would go a long way toward making SU even more competitive with CAD programs such as AutoCAD or Vectorworks. Hopefully Trimble will seriously consider incorporating this suggestion!

6 Likes

+10 ā†’ would be a very good addition to pro and very much needed by architects.

4 Likes

+1

( 5+ more characters to accept my +1 ) :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ll add my vote to this if it can be done.

1 Like

I put a reference to this over in the 2018 wish list:

And may I express my awe at your mock-up of the line type editor!

2 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: . You should see the mock-up of my terrain editing FR . Sadly I couldnā€™t get the video to show in the post so I hd to link it from youtube: [FR] Smarter Geo Location.

Sorry, Iā€™m late, just found this post randomly. (Itā€™s still open)

OMG, eneroth3, what are you doing. 10x A+
Please go on ā€¦

ā€¦ maybe as an Extension for pro.
It would be very appreciated to make theese line styles accessible for users, something like this:
ā€“x-- --x-- --x-- to mark walls to be erased
ā€“T-- --T-- --T-- to mark telefone lines
ā€“ E ā€“ ā€“ E ā€“ to mark electrian
ā€“ H ā€“ ā€“ H ā€“ to mark heating
ā€” s ā€“ ā€“ s ā€“ for sawers
etc.

If it could be made to a Component the Attribut ā€œItemCodeā€ can be added to list in Generat_Report for rough calculations.

That putā€™s it all together. Volume, Area, Lines means m3, m2, m.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Frustrated that LayOut STILL does not implement custom line types (it does implement custom material fill patterns which I much appreciate!), Iā€™m on a mission to encourage Trimbleā€™s programmers to get on the ball and get this done.
Thanks in advance!
Thom

1 Like

I have asked this before: Why not add support for AutoCad linetype definitions (.lin files)? The world is full of them, many applicatiosn support them, and making your own in Notepad is relatively straightforward.

If ever LO is going to acquire vector hatching support, I would also like it to be through .PAT files.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s not a bad idea. Just as face materials can be imported as PNG, JPG and some other image formats line styles/stipples could be imported from AutoCad lin files.

2 Likes

1 more time!

Again, so so wish this could happen! It always surprises me how little Sketchup do in each update when there are features like this which would make such a tangible difference, especially for Pro users!

Agreed. Iā€™ve been used to all these capabilities in PowerCADD since the late 1980ā€™s.

Thereā€™s no subtlety to line weights in SU. Itā€™s possible to use layers to symbolize line weight in SU and later on pick those layers out and apply weights when brought back into PowerCADD, but it is a lot of work to set that up.

+1 :grinning:
this would bring skp to the next level. I would see line thickness and line style as propriety of styles though.
ā€¦And the ability for styles to be assigned to groups and components in the same way materials work right now. That means different styles at the same time.
That would also allow having different section fillings within the same skp model.

3 Likes

I think only components, as components have the ability to ā€˜save asā€™ , the aplied style would be saved with them and groups are more or less ā€˜left behindā€™ when it comes to development.(Components now have ā€˜advanced attributesā€™)
Perhaps there could be a role for the StyleBuilder app for importing line types:
It is pro only allready
Somebody might use it

1 Like

I see no reason not to add the feature to both groups and components while at it. Thereā€™s no reason to stop when 90% done doing something.

I prefer groups very much over components for everything that canā€™t be given an item name and be put on a store shelf, e.g. the building as a whole, its surroundings and architectural elements built on site such as walls and slabs. Having the building as a whole or the surrounding envirement clutter the in model component browser, as well as generating thumbnails for them when edited, makes little sense. However Iā€™d also like to be able to use monochrome style for the surroundings and shaded with texture for the proposed building.

1 Like

Apparently, with the newly added advanced attributes, there is, groups are excluded from this. This has upset me when confronted with it, and puzzled. Perhaps the developers had no time to add those features to groups, or they have reason doing 90% :smile:
I always think of a SketchUp model as a Component, meaning the ā€˜model wrapperā€™ is the highest level of a component. These models have a style applied to the whole model, regardless of what it contains (raw geometry, groups, components) For now, we canā€™t save groups like we can components, thus apparently, the status of components is the same as the Model, whereas groups have the status of ā€˜special raw geometryā€™
I cannot see the use of applying (different) styles to any other edge or face (or group) in the model, I think it would look terrible, but some users might see that differently, though, I would say:wrap that in a component and give it a style :slight_smile:
The shelf of a city developer could contain malls and skyscrapers, it is pretty much always the context which determines the naming and grouping in a model(component)

I would have wanted those attributres to groups too but can in a way understand they are component only. If you name something (its definition, not the individual instance) and apply attributes to it it makes sense to use a component.

Styling is an other question though. Often you group things that are related to each other, but not represent a single object. This could be a floor, an apartment or, as I said before, everything that isnā€™t a part of the project itself but just a backdrop. A group in SU have a similar role as a Layer in e.g. PhotoShop while a component better translates to a smart object (an embedded file). I donā€™t want to be forced to make these groups components and have them behave like components just to be able to style them. I think it would be very arbitrary to limit styling to components only.

2 Likes

@eneroth3 I love your line styles

I believe this is a definite game changer for us pro users
If we could use line styles hatches and dimensions flawlessly between AC and SU i would honestly live 5 more years from aggravated stress

I still donā€™t understand why dimensions donā€™t evolve natively in SU and import from DWG but it is like a taboo when mentioned about how crappy or limited we are with dimensions generally reverting the whole dimension idea as a layout only mindset @DaveR go easy on me buddy

Please upvote

1 Like