Dimensioning Tool Question

I’ve used the Dimensioning Tool before. On my current model I’ve successfully placed several dimensions on my model, but it then started acting strangely. After selecting the Tool, I point to the starting point, and the small circle fails to appear at my starting point. After many tries it does. Next I move the cursor to my ending point, but I don’t get a second circle. What I get is a red hash mark. I click it, and move to the side to place the dimension line and dimension, but the line moves with the cursor, and, of course, the dimension is now incorrect. What’s going on? Under View, I have Edge Styles, and Edges and Profiles are checked. I’m a Newbie.

Is it possible that orbiting a little would make it easier for the tool to hit the desired endpoints?

How big is the model? I’ve found sometimes in a very large model (>200MB) that inferencing gets either very slow or non-functional.

Restarting SU, or even the computer sometimes also helps.

John,

Thanks for your interest. I realized I was attempting to use starting and ending points incorrectly; i.e., I was attempting to start or end a dimension from anywhere on the part I was working with. In other words, there was no “point” at my starting or ending point, so the Dimensioning Tool wasn’t able to determine what I wanted to achieve. I also found that orbiting a bit or using the Wire view made things a bit easier. I also created a measurement point at either the start or end of what I was attempting to dimension, and now the Dimensioning Tool knew what I was trying to achieve. Thanks.

Dave,

I need to figure out how to respond to multiple responses to my inquiries with one response.

Thanks for your interest. I realized I was attempting to use starting and ending points incorrectly; i.e., I was attempting to start or end a dimension from anywhere on the part I was working with. In other words, there was no “point” at my starting or ending point, so the Dimensioning Tool wasn’t able to determine what I wanted to achieve. I also found that orbiting a bit or using the Wire view made things a bit easier. I also created a measurement point at either the start or end of what I was attempting to dimension, and now the Dimensioning Tool knew what I was trying to achieve. Thanks.

1 Like

Just click the blue [Reply] button at the bottom of the whole series of posts, not the grey ‘Reply’ text at bottom right of each individual post.

You don’t need to reply to everyone individually - we all see the whole set of posts, unless you send a PM (Private Message).

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.