Creating a 3d star

hi i’m new to sketchup , i’m looking to create a 3d star , but cant find any tutorials on how to go about it , would someone be so kind as to explaining how to do it

A star is a fairly simple geometric figure constructed using a circle and some straight lines. Google star geometry and you will find several examples. Then draw the 2d geometry in SU by first creating a square plane large enough for the star, group it, click on the standard top view and draw the star geometry on your flat surface (looking down). Once done, you can delete the “flat surface” and extrude with the 3d tools. Hope this helps.

[quote=“aa12forme, post:1, topic:11635”]
…3d star ,… would someone be so kind as to explaining how to do it
[/quote]- select menu Camera > Standard Views > Top

• with the ‘Line’ tool draw a star
  • select menu Camera > Standard Views > Iso (or orbit to get away from looking down)
  • with the ‘Push/Pull’ tool pull up the star shaped face that you just created.

Many different types of stars and ways to make them, here is one option.

2 Likes

These will take you to You Tube and are designed to help you get the feel for the simple but most important things you can do. I dont know your experience with SketchUp and I am guesting your are very new. The more time you spend understanding how the tools model and work. The easier and more successful you will be at getting your ideas and thoughts out onto the screen. The hardest part is being patience and trying to hard, because this does take time and is frustrating at first. And as soon as you figure somethings out and get the hang of it three or four more things take there place, so just keep at it…Peace…

thanks for the replies , those two videos are perfect , and yes i am very very new to sketchup ,

Another “star”…

Another way to make a “True” 3D star…

1 Like

I’ve yet to learn the SketchUp commands to do so, but I built one from construction paper in junior high art class. In 2D one can make a star by extending the edges of a pentagon until they intersect a 2nd time. In 3D, one can assemble 12 pentagons into a solid called a dodecahedron. Extend the edges and faces of the pentagons, and they will intersect at 12 corners. 6 lines between the star’s points intersect at the center, and each intersects 2 opposite pentagons perpendicularly at the centers.