Continuing the discussion from "Check out this SketchUp model"

Continuing the discussion from Check out this SketchUp model:

Hi Jerry,

I moved your response to a new topic since there are a couple issues to address here.

Exporting to STL
Feel free to let me know what specific issues you’re running into, such as error messages, or unexpected results.

Shortcuts and large toolset
It sounds like we recommend that you reset SketchUp’s preferences file. This can be a bit confusing because there are two Library folders on a Mac.

1. Close SketchUp.
  2. Open a Finder window.
  3. Click Go in the top menu bar, press and hold the Option key, then click Library when it appears in the list.
  4. Click Preferences.
  5. Click and drag any of the following files, if present, to the trash:
    a. com.atlast.sketchup.plist
    b. com.google.sketchuppro.plist
    c. com.google.sketchuppro7.plist
    d. com.google.sketchuppro8.plist
    e. com.google.sketchupfree.plist
    f. com.sketchup.sketchup.plist
    g. com.sketchup.SketchUp.2014.plist
  6. Launch SketchUp.

If that doesn’t seem to help, try repairing disk permissions:

1. Restart your computer.
  2. Open a Finder window.
  3. Click Applications.
  4. Click Utilities.
  5. Double-click Disk Utility.
  6. Select your hard drive.
  7. Select the First Aid tab.
  8. Click Repair Disk Permissions.
    9. Please repeat step eight until you no longer see new errors during the repair.
  9. After the permissions are repaired, exit Disk Utility.

Feedback on the forum
Thanks for your comments on the forum! If you have a list of specific features or changes that you’d like to see, start a new post and categorize the post as Meta

1 Like

Dear Tommy,

Thank you for your help. Everything seems to be working again.

I had previously cleaned up the “permissions” and reloaded Sketchup 2014.

Sometimes I feel like one of the million moneys trying to type War and Peace by trial and error.

One problem was early on I pressed the shortcuts “reset all” button thinking I would get a new set of system recommended codes. Not exactly.

Then, as I was trying to manually ad new codes, I kept using the “enter” button to accept my new code. The system didn’t like that and I finally settled in on just selecting the next item on the command list in order to accept the new code.

So, I now have a new and somewhat expanded list of codes - and they do work.

Sketchup is an amazing program and Google’s (Now Trimble’s) scheme to get millions of man-hours of work from some very talented people has always blown my mind.

Jerry Siegel