"CFileException 0" when saving file

I get this issue also and I think I found what is happening. When Office 365, Dropbox… does automatic uploads, after a file is saved to my local drive, it locks the file as read-only until it is done. In this condition Sketchup or any other program can’t save until the read-only condition is cleared. We notice it with Sketchup more than other files because they are so big.
This doesn’t solve the problem but it helps to know what is happening.

1 Like

I’m still getting this error in SU2017. I’m still on Win7, still saving locally.

I’m also have the same issue as of today - Windows 10, SU2017, saving to desktop.

I’m having the same issue. I’m using SU2016 on a pc. I think it started when I went to Windows10 about a year ago. I had so many problems with Windows10 that I’ve gone back to Windows7. I’m still having this particular problem with Windows7. Just now, I paused syncing on Dropbox as someone suggested earlier, but I still have the problem.

I am also beginning to see this error message appear on workstations that are connected to an enterprise LAN. Users regularly work on .skp files stored in project folders and some will randomly get this message. As a tangent to this issue, I also have a user who in addition to this message also randomly gets a message that says his file is locked by another user when, in fact, the file is not in use. Trimble support has been less than responsive.

We have a small office, new Windows 2012R2 File Server and they are getting this error message each time AutoSave kicks off. Turning off AutoSave does eliminate the errors, but is completely unacceptable to the users. I have another thread going here on our specific issue: CFileException 0 - Auto Save

The fact that there appears to be zero debugging information is disturbing. I’m truly hoping that someone can point us in the direction of how to troubleshoot this.

1 Like

I’m also have the same issue Windows 10, SU2017, saving to desktop

Also getting this error message regularly when working with large files (approx. 50MB+) saved on Dropbox. This has been an issue consistently for us for many, many months. I can see it has been for others. Very surprised that I have been unable to find any response to this issue from Trimble.

My company is considering ditching SketchUp and moving to Revit, despite the increased cost, to enable us to work efficiently with larger files. I would rather stay with SketchUp & Layout, which suit our requirements very well in most other respects, but this single issue impacts massively on our productivity.

Trimble - please respond!

I am somewhat skeptic about Revit (an application I like quite much) being better than SketchUp at saving large files directly to online storage. As matters stand today, it is more reliable to save files locally and then copy to the cloud when finished working with them.

Based on replies elsewhere, I think this problem results from locking and/or temporary renaming of files done by Dropbox and similar remote file services. They do this to prevent changes while they are syncing a file over the network. I don’t think SketchUp has any control over when and whether the service decides to sync. I’m not an expert, so I don’t know whether it is possible for SketchUp to detect and do anything about this behavior.

But, like others here, I am saving to the desktop and getting the error. So there’s no Dropbox sync involved. Still a mystery to me. And SketchUp too, apparently?

even saving locally do you have Dropbox or another cloud service installed?

Yes. Am I to understand that because the service is running, that’s affecting SketchUp? I could try stopping the Dropbox service and see if that fixes things… not that it’s a practical long-term solution.

for testing purposes surely interesting if stoping the service resp. unistalling would cure the problem…

Hi, our 3 person design studio has been getting this annoying file saving error recently too. Only in the last 2-3 months from memory?

We work on a shared NAS drive (server) running 2 laptops and 1 desktop PC.

We ARE NOT saving directly to dropbox, Google Drive or any other kind of synced drive.

Can anyone provide any useful tips for sorting this problem out, or is there some kind of workaround???

Hi, the only work around is patience, after months of annoying problems of
that kind, it has disappeared without any notice, I even didn’t know it.
Maybe after a Windows update our installing another program?

having a cloud service installed/active might suffice already, try if uninstalling/deactivating any file based service does have an effect on this issue.

I have a NAS for my backups and in my experience it has more hiccups than a properly configured Windows file server would have. I understand that generally they use some Linux clone for an OS. Of course, a full Windows network environment is overkill for a small business.

the Synologys typically works well, being reluctant at least with major updates (and reading their forum before updating) helps.

Are you using Dropbox or some other type of auto-backup and syncing system by chance? These systems rely on your network to move your file into their backup storage. Before making the changes, they often “lock” the target file so that no changes are made while backing up. This helps them avoid file corruption. Any latency in the process due to network speeds will cause the lock to last longer than expected and the larger the target file, the longer the wait.

Some have reported that their issue solved after they installed the latest Dropbox backup client. Others temporarily suspend the Dropbox live syncing service until they are done working and then turn it back on. You can find more info on this solution here: Can we have an option to temporarily pause syncing... - Dropbox Community

Please note that this can happen with backup services other than Dropbox and in these cases, it is best to suspend backup services while you are working.

1 Like