Cannot launch Sketchup Pro 2017, nothing happens

Hi, I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (specs here : Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Core i7 - Fiche technique - 01net.com) with 8Gb shared memory and Intel HD Graphics 4400 Proc.
I had Sketchup Make 2015 and downloaded Sketchup Pro 2017 to try it before buying it. Installation is complete, but when I try to launch it, nothing happens. I deleted Sketchup 2015 so I cannot use it anymore and I nedd it urgently. Do you know if my computer is at stake? Do you have an idea of my problem? Thaks for your help !

When you installed SketchUp did you right click on the installer and choose Run as Administrator? If not, try that now and choose Repair. If that doesn’t work, uninstall SketchUp 2017 altogether and reinstall using Run as Administrator.

Are your graphics drivers up to date. Intel HD graphics cards are notorious for poor OpenGL support but updating the drivers may help.

It probably wasn’t a good idea to uninstall SU2015 before installing SU2017. They install entirely separately from each other so you could have left it alone.

Hi,
Yes I did as administrator.
Everything is updated…
:frowning:

And absolutely nothing happens when you try to start SketchUp?

This other thread is also about a Lenovo Yoga that needs a newer graphics driver:

You need a graphics driver version 4061 or higher. (Lenovo may not have a driver late enough.)

You may need to use a driver direct from Intel:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Intel-HD-Graphics-4400

In order to install an Intel driver, you must completely remove the Lenovo graphics driver package.

1 Like

Thanks all for our help. I’m using SU2016 and it works fine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same problem. See SketchUp 2017 Started Crashing.

This is also a Lenovo, but it has the latest video drivers (Dec 2017) and other OpenGL programs including SketchUp 2016 work ok.

The graphics in SketchUp were largely reworked for 2017 and require better OpenGL support than for 2016. You might try an OpenGL checker or viewer to see what version your driver and graphics card supports.

1 Like

What version does it need to support and what features? I do have checkers and know what my card supports, but I need to know what is required to draw any conclusions.

This is a relatively new, high-end card. It is unlikely SketchUp would be using features not found in most OpenGL cards, else it would not not work for many people. Also, it was originally working and stopped.

Further, the information I have about the crash is that it isn’t in the OpenGL part.

It may be Lenovo-specific, but it is hard to do anything without help from Trimble who have the Bug Splat from the crash and the source code. If they wanted to, it shouldn’t be hard to determine the cause. The program is getting an access violation, indicating a coding error.

See the topic for more details about these statements.

The SketchUp Help Center is a good place to get the “skinny” right “from the horse’s mouth” …

SketchUp Hardware and Software Requirements says:

SketchUp 2017
With the release of SketchUp 2017, we’ve removed support for 32-bit operating systems, OpenGL 2.0, and software rendering of models (as opposed to hardware acceleration).

… as well as the release notes page …

SketchUp Release Notes
section: “SketchUp Pro 2017 and SketchUp Make 2017says:

What’s New?
Graphics Pipeline
With SketchUp 2017, we have completely reworked our graphics pipeline - i.e., the way we display SketchUp models. This was a massive change that will allow us to innovate far beyond what we have been able to do in the past.

This new graphics pipeline has stricter hardware and software requirements than in previous versions of SketchUp. To run SketchUp, you will need:

• A 64-bit operating system.
  • A graphics card that supports OpenGL 3.0 or above.
  • A graphics card that supports Hardware Acceleration. We will no longer support software rendering!
  • A graphics card that passes a series of tests that are run by SketchUp 2017 to assure that your card is capable of rendering SketchUp models. These tests include checks like compilation of SketchUp’s GLSL shaders and support for OpenGL framebuffer objects.

If your machine does not meet these requirements, you will see an error dialog when launching SketchUp, LayOut, Style Builder, and Viewer that lets you know which requirement you did not meet and which will prevent you from running SketchUp until you fix the error. If you see this error dialog, try upgrading your graphics card driver - upgrading your driver is a good first troubleshooting step and often solves the error.

… and for general information …

SketchUp User Guide

:bulb: I suggest bookmarking these pages.

2 Likes

DanRathbun,

Thanks for the extensive and useful reply.

I don’t think that is my problem. It crashes rather than giving me a dialog stating my card isn’t good enough. Moreover, the card supports 3.0. I believe I ran an OpenGL checker from Sketchup when this first happened, and it passed.

And then there are the other reasons I listed. It appears to be a bug.

1 Like

Your welcome, and although I agree (re the cause,) it doesn’t matter.
THIS topic is about OpenGL and out of date graphics drivers, so the question you posed here was valid and the answers should be of help to readers landing here who have OpenGL issues.

(The other topic is about your specific problems. And above, when you said “I have the same problem”,… you really don’t. You share the same symptom. Anyway, we should be discussing your specific issues in your own thread and continue that discussion there. This is an example of why cross-posting is a no-no in the forum guidelines. It causes hard to follow converversations split between two threads. Ie, you are answering a question from the other thread here.)

1 Like

I see the topic as Sketchup Make not working, but I agree my problem should be dealt with in its own topic. That is why I gave a reference to that topic and have referred to it in my responses to avoid cross-posting.

And thanks again for your informative response. That was useful to me.

BTW it is from this topic that I got the idea it might be Lenovo-specific.

1 Like