Auto-Text for Scene name in Layout

I’m really loving the relatively new auto-text feature in Layout. Is there a way to create an auto-text label for Scenes? Perhaps this feature could be added to a future update.

Thanks.

4 Likes

I’ll put a +1 on our feature request for this. We’d love to extend the auto-text capabilities to pull more information out of a model viewport.

-marc

6 Likes

Here is a user +1. This would be most helpful. The use case is complicated by the fact that a page in Layout may have many scenes. Thus, it seems like the scene auto-text would have to be within the scene container on the layout page.

Related to 4640

1 Like

That looks a great feature request, I was thinking how it could be implemented, maybe the default scrapbooks would be updated to work like the following way:

The group of the scrapbook tag will contain 2 labels, and when we add it to the sheet, we could edit this tag by double click on it to move the header of the label for the desired Sketchup Window:

But an issue may come if there is an overlapped Sketchup scenes above each others, then maybe this feature request will solve the issue, then we could type the Scene group name which contain all scenes that have been combined in a one group in layout, For Examples :
<SceneGroupName>

But if the user want to add it to a specific scene of the overlapped scenes, then we should have a way to cycle through overlapping objects by clicking “Tab” button for example when hovering the mouse above the overlapped objects, this will work in a similar way how Revit Works.

That would be also useful when adding dimensions for overlapped objects, currently Layout connect the dimensions with most heights point in SketchUp Window, so it will be great if the user could have a way to cycle through overlapping objects when he add dimensions.

Just some thoughts.

Best,
Mousa Abu Doush

1 Like

Yes please, can we have a way to autotext scene names in Layout, yet?

Edit: Got it! I should have tried a little bit harder. I used Create Layout From Scenes Extension to make Layout file of single page scenes (which page labels by scene), then put text on an every-page layer with the autotext >pagename< and voila… a multi page doc with a scene name for each page in the header. Sweet.

2 Likes

I am attempting to do this - could you explain your workflow in a little more detail?

Sure.

First I create a Sketchup model with all the scenes I need, labeled as I would like them. (I have this set up as a template with my standard scenes already included) Then save your model.

Once all my scenes are ready to go, I run the extension Create Layout File. This opens Layout and creates a new document which has an individual page and a single viewport for each of the scenes in your Sketchup model.

This process incidentally names each created page with the scene title. This can be checked and edited in the Pages window of Layout.

I then create a new layer that will be seen on every page, layers visibility can be adjusted in the Layers window with the page icon on the far right.

In this layer that will be present on every page I place a text box, and into that text box I write >pagename< (except I reverse the two arrows which the forum formatting will erase if I try to write it here) to indicate to Layout that this should be auto-text, this text option is also available under Text > Insert Auto-Text.

This prompts Layout to fill in this autotext with the name of the individual page, which in this case has been given the name of the original scene by the SU extension. So you get a multi-page Layout document with each page correctly titled with it’s scene name, without ever typing anything into Layout.

2 Likes

For me I have multiple drawings on a page, this workflow wouldn’t work for me. I imagine many people have multiple drawings on a page. This was asked for in 2016, a simple way to use auto text to reference the sketchup scene name. Why are we still waiting for this? Am I missing something? @Marc

1 Like

Same here. I can have lots of scenes on one Layout page. Honestly who use I drawing per page?

This feature request is now implemented in version 2022

1 Like

Illustrating what @MikeWayzovski wrote.

Is there a good tutorial anywhere? I can’t seem to make it work.
Here is an example of what I need to do…

Your profile says you are using SketchUp/LayOut 2020. The feature is implemented in LO2022 but not before.

In LO2022 you use a label with a transparent leader and autotext of < SceneName>. (No space between the open bracket and the text) Anchor the leader to the model. Similar for scale if you want that.

I’m showing one from the TB-Contemporary : Auto-Text scrapbook.