Angular Dimensions

A wise thing to do is not using LO! :wink:

Yawn… :roll_eyes:

LO just can’t handle complex projects…I tried everything…sorry.

In the years since I wrote my first Angular Dimension extension and then @john_mcclenahan and I created the substantially enhanced Angular Dimension 2, I have come to believe that the SketchUp developers regard all dimensions as a form of 2D annotation that don’t belong in a 3D model.

The existing dynamic linear dimensions got into SketchUp before Layout existed. They rely on various screen magic to behave as they do. If foresight were possible, I think the designers would not have put these features into SketchUp at all, reserving all annotation to LayOut. But dimensions have been there a long time now. Removing them from SketchUp would cause an enormous stink!

That said, even if limited to LayOut, implementing a usable system of dynamic angular dimensions is much more difficult than those who haven’t tried it would assume. There are too many situations in which during an edit SketchUp may destroy or replace the entities that originally defined the angle. For example, if a new edge splits one that was used initially to define the angle, afterward the model data will contain two edges. Which of them should be tracked to update the angle? Don’t assume that either of the new edges has the same ID as the original (I have examples in which neither does), or that either of them still intersects the original other side of the angle! The point is that the hooks to track what is going on would go deep into the edit logic of SketchUp, potentially breaking other things.

I believe that the development team does not think that, given the existing extensions for static versions in SketchUp and the existing static implementation in LayOut, there is sufficient demand to prioritize the necessarily large amount of effort to build dynamic ADs.

1 Like

I still miss Gully, just call me sentimental.

2 Likes