Access to "Include in Animation" from Ruby API

:earth_africa: :astonished:

The native animation feature(s) have always been rudimentary, and likely not expanded as they were considered a professional feature. (Ie, there are limitations in the Free / Make editions with regard to animation export.)

Basically I think that their status (as to expansion) is “in limbo” and have been put off as the 3rd party animation extensions have been filling the gap for the most part. That and other features have had higher priority.

True, as of SketchUp v2017, this FR has not yet been implemented. (It is just one of those minor API omissions that has not yet percolated to the top of the “to do” list.)

This is likely to change in the future, especially for SketchUp Pro as there have been quite a few animation feature requests that are (or should) only be implemented in the Pro edition(s).

There are other long hoped for “core” feature requests that’ll probably be implemented before animation gets any more “love”, but these other “core” features are happening slowly, so it’s only a matter of time.

Actually, the brackets are added to the page object’s label (read-only) property.

Adding brackets to the name property will have no effect on the animation page set.

So, currently (as of SketchUp v2017,) there is no easy API means to set a page to be included or not be included in animation.

I posted a query method (to determine if a user has manually set a page to be included in animation,) that should work for any old version (even if a page’s name has it’s own brackets.) :

I did explore a possible workaround using template pages in this thread:

I also wonder if a component file with a scene could be used ? The component could be only a cpoint at the ORIGIN, but have the proper kind of page (included or not included in animation.)

1 Like